Recipe: Red Wine Braised Lamb Shoulder Chops With Mashed Potatoes, #top8free, #allergenfree [Sponsored]

SO LUSCIOUS!
Between you and me I wanted to make lamb for Passover but was out voted. I get it, not everyone likes lamb (OK, one person who will not be named) and because I want all my dinner guests to be happy, I made short ribs and roasted chicken and they were BELOVED. 

But still wanting some kind of lamb something, I searched around for options. After the art exhibit at the Met yesterday, I walked into the nearest Fairway on East 86th. They had shanks which looked yum and huge roasts, also yum but hours of cooking and really I wanted something smaller, more manageable. On trays, waiting to be shelved, I saw lamb shoulder chops with bone in.

I’ve had shoulder chops once before in recent memory, made by my then-boyfriend who threw a braise together with what I had in my pantry and I arrived home to serious, falling off the bone goodness. I wanted to recreate that. 

Since I have no idea what he did (and neither did he, it was years ago, I asked) I made it up, with basically pantry items, leftover wine from the short ribs last weekend, and the gorge shoulder chops I picked up at Fairway Market all of which to say, you can throw this together in a snap, too!

***

Recipe: Red Wine Braised Lamb Shoulder Chops

Yields 15 ounces cooked lamb
Cooking time 1.5 -2 hours

Ingredients

1.25 pounds lamb shoulder chops (bone-in)
Kosher salt
2 Tablespoons olive oil
1 medium shallot, chopped
2-3 cloves of garlic, minced
2 carrots chopped
1.5 cups red wine
1 14.5-oz. can diced tomatoes
1 dried bay leaf
Handful of fresh thyme sprigs


Heat oven to 350°. Pat lamb dry; season with salt. Heat oil in a Dutch oven or other large heavy pot over medium-high heat. Brown lamb, on each side, approximately 5 minutes each; transfer to a plate.

Add shallot and carrots to pot, and sauté for about 5 minutes until fragrant and cooked through. Add minced garlic, sauté for 1 minute until softened and also fragrant. Add wine and bring to a boil, scraping up brown bits. Reduce heat and simmer until reduced by half, 5 minutes. Add bay leaf, thyme, diced tomatoes and lamb to pot. Bring to a simmer, cover pot and transfer to oven.

Braise until lamb is fork-tender, 1½–2 hours. Check halfway through, if there doesn’t seem to be enough liquid, add up to 1 cup of water.  

Once fork tender, transfer lamb to a clean plate. Cook sauce down until it is thick and velvety, approximately five minutes. Taste and adjust seasoning.


Serve over mashed potatoes (or rice or pasta) and with a steamed green veg and salad and enjoy!

***

BONUS: Dairy-Free Mashed Potatoes

To go along with my Red Wine Braised Lamb Shoulder Chops of course I wanted some mashed potatoes. To make it super inclusive, I thought I’d try to recreate chef Kelvin’s dairy-free mash. I didn’t have a chance to ask him how he made it more than what he told me originally: potatoes, olive oil and salt and pepper.  So that’s what I did.

The potatoes do make a difference here. Yukon Gold, on sale at Fairway Market
are ideal for mashed: they boil up easily and break down easily once cooked and whip up in a yellow billowy fluffy mass of hearty potato happiness.




I follow this potatoes boiling techniques by The Kitchn: wash, peel, cube, place in big pot of cold salted water, bring to a boil and boil for an additional 5 minutes or until desired doneness. Drain, place into a bowl and then mash with a fork or potatoes masher if you have one. 

To that I added two glugs of olive oil and kept mashing and fluffing with a fork.  Added two more glugs and kept mashing until all of sudden the potatoes became creamy. I tasted for seasonings, added some more salt and some fresh ground pepper and ta-da, “creamy” mashed potatoes, dairy-free and top allergen free!


***


Thank you Fairway Market for sponsoring* this delicious allergen-friendly recipe!




Comments

Popular Posts