Recipe: Broccoli Rice: Vegan, Allergen-free





I’ve been reading about cauliflower "rice" for a while now, adopted by paleo, whole30, grain-free dieters. As I have a whole HUGE bag of broccoli florets from Costco in my fridge right now and as I’m in the middle of May’s #cook90 where I’m pushing myself to try new recipes, new ways of looking at the same ingredients, new combinations and new recipes, I thought: instead of broccoli the way I normally do, why not make some broccoli “rice”.

Broccoli “rice” is the floret of the broccoli stalk, finely chopped. Once chopped, you can steam or sauté or fry the “rice” like rice. 


Broccoli florets



Broccoli "rice"


Well, kinda. This is a vegetable not a grain and it doesn’t behave like a grain. When you cook it, it cooks down, loses some of its moisture content; it can get steamy, mushy and sad. So my recommendation is to do a really quick sauté in a hot pan on this to keep the broccoli “rice” bright, green and al dente.


Recipe: Broccoli Rice with Fried Eggs
1 cup chopped broccoli florets
1 garlic clove, sliced
1.5 T EVOO
S&P to taste
2 fresh organic eggs

In a sauté pan on med high heat, sauté the sliced garlic in 1 teaspoon of oil for 2 minutes or until fragrant but not toasted (and def not burnt). Remove the garlic from the pan, leave the oil and toss the broccoli rice into the hot pan with a bit more oil (1 teaspoon) if needed for a few moments, until the broccoli is bright and green and fragrant. Add back in the cooked garlic and toss that together until melded (about 30 seconds) Place broccoli rice mixture into a bowl. Now to the same hot pan, add a bit more oil (1 teaspoon) and fry your eggs (I like mine over easy with crisp edges and runny yolks, but this is your egg style, go for it!). Serve the eggs over the broccoli rice et voila, an easy dish, that’s healthy and pretty!





***

Some other possible additions:
Fresh ginger (sautéed with garlic)
Hot sauce (I know people love hot sauce on everything!)
Red chili flakes
Green salsa
The toppings and mix-ins flavoring possibilities here are endless. I cooked what I had on hand.


Comments

Popular Posts